If you have a hedgehog, you might know how curious they can be. Not content with sitting around in their cage all day, they are simply dying to get out of their habitat. The question is: how can you keep them from escaping?
The answer is: by having the perfect cage. Now, you might be slightly reluctant to explore this idea, as you might think of a cage as a pokey little place that will not give your hedgehog that much room to maneuver.
However, this is not so! Some of the cages on this list have plenty of space that will give your hedgehog all the living space and exercise that it needs.
These cages will encourage all the right circulation in your hedgehog, with runs and wheels that will keep your hedgehog active and prevent it from putting on any weight that might lead to further health problems down the line.
So where can you find the ideal cage for your hedgehog? How can you find something that will be able to withstand your hedgehog’s tenacious teeth?
How can you ensure that your hedgehog will have enough room to run around? How much can you be expected to pay for a cage that is this good?
Well, if you want answers to all of these questions and a whole lot more, then we would definitely recommend that you keep reading. We cover all different sizes of cage, large and small, hopefully giving all the info that you need to budget correctly and make sure that your cage can be easily cleaned out at least once a week.
Top 10 Best Hedgehog Cages
This first cage is amazing, coming as a large and very well-ventilated design. This has an upper wireframe that will stop your hedgehog from chewing through and escaping.
This has plenty of layers that will allow your hedgehog to clamber through, giving you everything that you need to keep it active and healthy – introducing the Living World Deluxe Habitat.
This cage is very easy to clean, with a detachable frame that can be clipped firmly back into place when you have used it. You can put plenty of play toys in this cage, so if you notice your hedgehog getting a little bored, then you can always introduce some fun toys for playtime.
- This has a spacious upper balcony that is great for climbing. Hedgehogs love to climb, so getting a cage with multiple layers will be the best way to keep it entertained.
- This has a pet dish that is very easy to clean, coming with an access ramp that will be very easy for even the laziest hedgehog to use.
- This has a very deep feeding pan, so you can make sure that your hedgehog has its daily helping of insects and other delicious treats.
- This is a tricky unit to assemble and the instructions for it aren’t always that easy to read, so make sure that you consult with the manufacturer first.
- Versatile Habitat: Living World Deluxe Habitat provides everything you need for safely housing pet rabbits, guinea pigs, chinchillas, ferrets, and more. The hybrid cage provides a safe, well-ventilated and comfortable place for small pets.
- Hybrid Design: The hybrid cage consists of an upper wire frame and plastic bottom base. Wire frame is elegantly styled, with an arcing red wire top and white wire sides. Top opens easily for easy access, with a wire door at the front.
- Safe Environment: Living World Deluxe Habitat includes a balcony with an access ramp, a tip-proof food dish that secures to the balcony floor, and a hideaway space under the balcony to provide your small pet with a quiet and secure hiding place.
- Additional Features: Deluxe Habitat comes with a drip-proof water bottle and a hay guard, both of which are located outside the cage to save interior space and allow easy maintenance access.
- Easy Assembly: Cage assembles in minutes using four easy-to-use plastic clips-no tools required. Measures 37.8 L x 22.4 W x 22 H inches.
This next cage is one made by Amazon, and it is probably one of the easiest cages to access from the outside. This has two large openings that you can use either to gain access to your hedgehog or you need to feed it quickly.
This also comes with a spacious balcony that your hedgehog can rove around on – introducing the Amazon Basic Small Animal Cage Habitat.
This comes with a hay guard that will allow you to leave food without your hand getting bitten by your pesky pal.
Also, you’ll want to make sure that you have access to all sides of the cage to avoid pricking your fingers on your hedgehog’s spines. Having enough room for your pet will be crucial when it comes to getting plenty of exercise.
- You can easily clean or refill this cage, simply lifting off the cage lid and taking out the straw or food when your hedgehog is asleep.
- This has a deep rim on the outside, so if your hedgehog is prone to dashing for freedom, then you can be sure it’ll find it hard to overcome their short legs.
- These bars are not placed too far apart, so you won’t have to worry about your pet dashing for the exit.
- This cage is also well-ventilated, so your hedgehog will have plenty of fresh clean air to breathe.
- The ramp in this cage is slippery, so make sure that you don’t place it too high in your cage in case your hedgehog injures itself.
- Jumbo small-animal habitat for pet rabbits, guinea pigs, ferrets, or chinchillas
- Iron wire upper frame and PP plastic base; large top and front openings for easy inside access
- Includes non-drip water bottle, hay guard, and balcony with access ramp and tip-proof food dish
- Hide-away space underneath balcony for privacy; simple assembly (no tools needed)
- Measures 48.6 by 26.6 by 20.6 inches (LxWxH); weighs 18.7 pounds; backed by an Amazon Basics limited 1-year warranty
This next cage is probably the most comfortable on our list, with a hay feeder and a feeding bowl that will make sure that your pet has everything it needs for a very comfortable life.
This cage is huge, measuring in at a whopping 40-inches – introducing the MidWest Homes For Pets.
This has plenty of access points, so you won’t have to worry about safely entering your cage from any angle.
You can clean, feed and pet your animal from every angle, with a deep plastic pan that will collect all of your hedgehog’s droppings. When it comes to hygiene and feeding control, you can’t go far wrong with this cage.
- This collects pet litter like no other cage. This means that you will have to spend less time getting your hands dirty yourself.
- This cage is very easy to set up, coming with easy-to-understand instructions that will mean your hedgehog will be housed in no time at all.
- There are many accessories to this cage, so your hedgehog will have plenty to play with, which will improve its overall mood.
- Sadly, this cage does not include the classic wheel, so you might not have all the equipment that you need to keep your hedgehog fit and healthy.
- Rabbit Cage includes free hay feeder, water bottle, feeding bowl & elevated feeding area, Ideal for Rabbits, Guinea Pigs & Chinchillas
- Rabbit Cage measures 39.5 L x 23.75 W x 19.75 H inches providing a large living space & maximum comfort for your pet
- Rabbit Cage features 5.5" deep base to contain litter & convenient top / full side-door access
- Rabbit cage (model 158) is compatible with both extensions to create an even larger living space (Wire: 158WEX or wood Rabbit Hutch: 158HEX)
This next cage is another very spacious one, coming at 32 inches in length, you can be sure that you’ll have everything that you need to feed, clean and have general access to your pet.
This is a luxury cage if ever we saw one, with plenty of room for even a larger hedgehog to roam around – introducing the Prevue Pet Products 528 Universal Small Animal Home.
This has small spaces between the wires, so you won’t have to concern yourself with your hedgehog chewing through the wires. You can remove the ramp and the platform, making this an extremely customizable unit.
You might have to dismantle it to clean it properly, but once it is done then you can all but guarantee zero infections.
- This cage has a very durable base, with a deep bottom that will keep your hedgehog contained when you have removed the top cage.
- This has a narrow gap between the wire mesh, so if your hedgehog tends to make an escape using its teeth, then this is a great cage to keep it contained.
- This is a very secure cage, giving you everything that you need for a nice and stable upbringing for your spiny pal.
- As mentioned above, you will have to dismantle this cage to clean it, which might be a hassle if your hedgehog is particularly boisterous.
- Designed to home a wide variety of small animals
- Tight 3/8'' wire spacing
- Extra deep 6 1/4'' tubby base
- 2 large entry doors - one on top and one on the side
- 32 ½’’ L x 19’’ W x 17 ½’’ H with 3/8’’ wire spacing
This cage is a great one for accessories, coming with a water bottle, a hay feeder, a bowl and a little house for your pet to camp out in. This has great wire mesh that you can use to prevent your animal from escaping.
This pet will not chew through the wires on this cage, making it perfect for aggressive male hedgehogs – introducing the Ferplast Cavie Guinea Pig Cage.
This has very durable plastic clips which are very useful for keeping the lid of your cage firmly sealed.
It has a wide front door that will allow you access to your cage, which is great if you have larger hands and often finds changing the sawdust very difficult. The cage is very easy to set up, making it the perfect model for children that like critters.
- This can contain up to two hedgehogs, so if you have a couple that you don’t want to separate, then we would heartily recommend that you get this cage.
- If you have a solo hedgehog, then there will be more than enough room in this cage to play and roll around.
- You can assemble this cage without the need for any tools. This is great for both children and seniors who might have no aptitude for DIY.
- Sadly you’ll need to buy the wheel separately with this cage.
- Fully Equipped Guinea Pig Cage ; Cavie is a great starter guinea pig home and includes a food dish, water bottle, large guinea pig hide-out
- Easy Maintenance Guinea Pig Cage ; Front and side doors fully open for quick cleaning access and the deep 6-inch base contains litter and other debris inside the guinea pig cage
- Great Guinea Pig Starter Cage ; Guinea pig cage measures 30.3L x 18.5W x 16.5H inches, deep base measures 30.3L x 18.5W x 6H, wire mesh is 1W x 10L inches
- Versatile Pet Cage ; Cavie is an ideal choice as a guinea pig cage and a hedgehog cage
This next cage has been described by various hedgehog owners as one of the best that they’ve ever bought.
Not only does it come with a feeding shelter and a wooden bowl, but there is a wooden component that will dampen any loud sounds that might scare your little pet – introducing the Ferplast Krolik Rabbit Cage.
This cage comes with a raised platform that houses the feeder, which is great for containing all spillages that naturally occur when your animal is feeding.
The base of this feeder is very large, so it can hold plenty of bedding, as well as food and all the droppings of your hedgehog. When it comes to hygiene, this cage is top-rated.
- This cage has enough room for your pet to play and roam around very comfortably – it comes with dual platforms that will allow you to separate the feeding, sleeping and playing space.
- This cage will provide you with many different access points, making it the perfect model for cleaning and laying down food.
- This cage is very easy to assemble and disassemble, making it an ideal unit for children who want to learn the basics of taking care of an animal.
- This cage has one front door, making it the perfect target for your hedgehog to escape through.
- Perfect Rabbit Cage Starter Kit w/ Wood Hutch Extension | Rabbit cage includes large water bottle, feeding bowl, hay feeder, elevated feeding area ideal for rabbits, guinea pigs or chinchillas
- Extra-Extra-Large Living Space | Rabbit cage measures 55.9L x 23.62W x 19.7H inches & includes a wood hutch ideal for nesting that creates a private living quarters for your pet
- Easy Maintenance Rabbit Cage | Krolik features a 5.5" deep base to contain litter & entire base of the rabbit cage detaches for cleaning or dumping of litter / debris
- Convenient Access | Full front door provides quick access inside the rabbit cage; wood hutch features a locking top panel w/ full access
This is yet another deluxe cage that gives you everything that your hedgehog needs for a comfortable relaxing time and sleep. You can unlock it easily using the main cage, also coming with a knock-out system that makes it easy to clean away dirt, feces and other debris – introducing the Ferplast Rabbit Cage.
This is a very sturdy and comfortable cage, with plenty of room for a pregnant mother and her resulting hoglets. When it comes to space, this is the ideal cage to raise your hedgehog and her young.
This is also a great travel cage, keeping your pets safe and secure when you are on the road.
- This will give your pet a very comfortable living space, not only can you house plenty of feeding, but you can also keep a litter of 6 hoglets here if you are a breeder.
- This cage is easy to remove, with multiple access points that you can use to feed or change the bedding of your small pet.
- This has a very durable construction and will limit the number of knocks and bangs that your hedgehogs will experience, especially during travel.
- This model does not come with a wheel, which might be a dealbreaker if you are looking to keep your hedgehog fit.
- Perfect rabbit cage starter kit | rabbit cage includes large water bottle, feeding Bowl, hay feeder & elevated feeding area W/ Two separate living quarters
- Large two-story living space | rabbit cage measures 39L x 20.3W x 36.2H inches & is a perfect design to separate your rabbit's living space on one floor and their litter on another floor
- Easy maintenance rabbit cage | two-story rabbit cage features two deep plastic bases (1 base on bottom & top floor) to contain litter & both bases of the rabbit cage can detach for cleaning
- Convenient access | first floor features a sliding center front door & both sides can open, top floor features full front & side door access
This next cage is 17-inches wide by 21-inches high, with a plastic base and a wire top, guaranteeing your hedgehog the utmost protection, which is very useful if you have any other pets roaming around the house.
It has doors on the top and the sides, allowing you access from every conceivable angle – introducing Kaytee My First Home 2-level Pet Habitat.
- This cage has wheels on the base that will allow you to travel.
- The cage can be detached quickly and effectively.
- You can adapt this cage to house a wheel.
- This does not have a shelter, so you might want to look into buying that separately.
- An ideal habitat for guinea pig or dwarf rabbit
- Chew proof latches and large access door
- Dimensions: 30" x 18" x 19"
- Includes comfort shelf, safety ramp, water bottle, food dish, hay buffet and caster wheels
- Ships in its own container for protection during shipment
This cage is another very spacious one, with a feeding bowl and a water bottle included. This wire is coated, making it utterly chew-proof – introducing the Ware Manufacturing 35” Resistant Chew Proof Small Animal Cage.
- This cage is easy to assemble and very easy to clean.
- This one has wheels that allow you to tow it.
- This is probably the best travel cage.
- Some smaller hedgehogs will be able to fit through the bars, so make sure you know the size of your hedgehog before purchasing.
- All Metal shelves and ramps for aggressive chewers
- Extra deep plastic base allows you to keep more bedding inside pan
- Includes 16oz water bottle and food bowl
- Powder coated, chew Proof wire with 1/2" Bar Spacing
- Ideal for chinchillas, rats, Syrian hamsters, gerbils - Overall Dimensions: 35"L x 17. 5"W x 21. 75"H
Our final cage is probably the most durable, not only is the wire mesh completely chew-proof, but it also has a metal pan in the bottom.
This cage will be able to resist even the best escape attempts by your hedgehog – introducing the MidWest Deluxe Critter Nation.
- This cage is extremely well-ventilated, so you can be sure that no matter how much mess your animal makes, it will always have access to fresh air.
- This has a front door that will allow you to access the hedgehog whenever you like.
- The wiring is chew-proof, so you won’t have to worry about any late-night escapes.
- This is not suitable for smaller hedgehogs, as they might be able to squeeze through the bars.
- Critter Nation Double Unit habitat/cage (162) includes two pans, two adjustable shelves, three plastic ramps with covers & easily maneuverable stand with 4 locking wheel casters
- Full-width double doors on Critter Nation small animal cage and removeable shelf provide maximum accessibility for easy cleaning & feeding
- Critter Nation's wide expanse shelves & full width leak-proof pans provide maximized play area & prevent dangerous falls
- Great for Rats, Chinchillas, Dagus, Ferrets |Tubing (Corners) 0.6 inches square & 1/2 " horizontal wire spacing allow pets to fulfill their instinct to climb & explore in a secure environment
- Critter Nation small animal cage measures 36"L x 25"W x 63"H | No tools required assembly & includes a 1- year Manufacturer's Warranty
Here are a few things you’ll need to consider when buying a new hedgehog cage:
Can It Be Chewed Through?
This is probably the most important aspect of your animal’s house, as it will often try and make escapes. This will also give you peace of mind during the day when you’ll be leaving your hedgehog unattended.
How Portable Is It?
If you are thinking of taking your critter around to your friend’s house, then you’ll need to make sure that it has a handle in the hood and that it won’t come apart in transit.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Much Should You Pay For A Decent Cage?
Most of the cages above shouldn’t cost you more than $50, although some of the more luxurious and durable cages hit around $100. Make sure you know how big your hedgehog is before buying your next cage.